Day 17: breakfast for dinner
Sunday nights are breakfast nights around here and yesterday I was desperate for something new to try. I’m about muffined out and honestly pancakes don’t really get big hoorays around this house (strange I know). Welcome Pinterest.
I saw this pin and thought, “here’s something new and easy to try”:
Here is the link to the original recipe and below is mine that I “healthied up” a little bit.
Chocolate Chip Streusel Bread
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
1/2 milk buttermilk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (I used heaping teaspoonfuls, because we do love cinnamon around here)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Streusel Topping (I’ve not a clue what I used. I tend to make this in “bulk” and then freeze it to use as I need to for muffins. I’m sure it was just butter, flour and sugar.)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. Make the streusel topping of your choice 🙂
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Add the buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt; beat until combined. Now stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
4. Spoon the batter into the greased pan, and spread evenly. Sprinkle the Streusel topping over the batter.
5. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
Here’s a picture of mine. I’m obviously food photography challenged, but nevertheless…
Overall, I would say this was pretty good. Not sure that I’ll make it again. Anything that calls for full stick of butter around here has to be ridiculously good for me to remake it and I’m not sure this qualifies.
Up ahead this week: a book sling for the chick, more recipies for the foodies out there and who knows what else! Maybe one more Halloweenish craft 🙂
Missed a post in my 31 days of creating series? Click here for a complete list.