The Long Thread posted this tutorial a few weeks ago and I showed it to my son and we declared it a great project for those little gifts that you just need to give. I honestly didn’t want to search for little wooden balls and had a stash of glass ornaments so we opted to make ours out of those.
Here’s how we made ours:
1) Cut out pattern (for the 1.5″ wooden balls the pattern is at The Long Thread link and I just printed the one from the tutorial and cut mine about a 1/2″ larger)
2) Sew edges of hat together and turn (a great project for the little ones…chop sticks work great as tools to poke on through the hat when turning) but don’t forget to leave a little hole at the top point! If you don’t sew, I don’t see why you couldn’t just hot glue the edges together!
3) Tie white ribbon through the loop of the ornament and then stick the ribbon out through the top of the hat to make the hanger.
4) Hot glue a small dot at the back seam of the hat to keep in place and then hot glue the white beard on.
5) Add some eyes (paint pens work best)
6) Hang on your tree or share with a friend!