A few weeks ago I had a little fabric money to spend so I went on my way to Jo Anns. It was one of those frustrating trips where it seemed like nothing was screaming “buy me!” and I was a little bummed. I kept walking past this Alexander Henry print and loving it, but honestly couldn’t figure out what I would do with it. Make my daughter a dress or shirt with this crazy fabric (with a dragon on it no less)! But alas, I kept coming back to it and for those of you with fabric obsessions, when you find that one that pulls you back you know you can’t go home without it!
I have been wanting to make one of these peasant style tops and I found a cheap $1.99 pattern and started cutting it out and realized I bought the wrong size 😦 I ended up finding exactly what I wanted in my old Ottobre magazine. This is the first time I’ve ever really altered a pattern a bunch and it was so thrilling! The pattern had buttons down the back and I have sworn off buttons until I get a new sewing machine. I also ended up doing elastic for the neck and adding the bias trim around the cuffs.
The pants are a super-easy Burda pattern (that I’m too lazy to get up and look up for you) which I altered the pockets (aka simplified) and then added the ruffle around the hem.
Overall, I love it! The shirt is a little snug around the waist (darn those European sizes!) so I’m not sure how long she’ll be able to wear it, but until then it’s all hers (dragon and all!)